Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Hosea and D's soundtrack: a meme

Almost five years ago -- dear God, was it really five years ago? -- I posted a "soundtrack" of my life with Wife, as part of a meme started by Kyra Edwards.  And even at the time, I kind of wondered, "What about after Wife?"  But I didn't really have the perspective to answer that question.

Then a couple weeks ago, just before the boys went off to their various schools, I was watching a movie with them and suddenly it became crystal-clear to me what has to have been my soundtrack with D.  I don't know about Debbie yet, ... but for D it is totally obvious.

First, as before, let me start off quoting a paragraph of rules:

The Rules:
Write a post about the soundtrack of your life. Please include somewhere in the body of the meme "This was started by Kyra (last refuge of the lonely housewife)"... I want to google to see how far and wide this meme travels.

And the song?  Well maybe there could have been several, but one overshadowed the whole relationship ... had to, in many ways.  I just had to back up before I had the perspective to see it.

It's "Mrs. Robinson".

Not that I was a virgin when we got together, of course.  But in many ways I felt naive, and like the junior partner.  Many times she was clearly frustrated with my not understanding the basic logistical necessities of our affair.  (Much like Mrs. Robinson asking Benjamin, "Did you get us a room?")  And when I had trouble making up a lie to cover this or that she had no patience with me whatsoever; she assumed that my saying I "couldn't" tell this or that lie meant I didn't want to.  She demanded a lot of my attention and was brusque or dismissive if she didn't get it.  I don't know ... somehow it just seemed right.



__________

Mrs. Robinson

And here’s to you, Mrs. Robinson
Jesus loves you more than you will know, wo wo wo
God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson
Heaven holds a place for those who pray, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey


We’d like to know a little bit about you for our files
We’d like to help you learn to help yourself
Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes
Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home


And here’s to you, Mrs. Robinson
Jesus loves you more than you will know, wo wo wo
God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson
Heaven holds a place for those who pray, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey


Hide it in a hiding place where no one ever goes
Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes
It’s a little secret, just the Robinsons’ affair
Most of all, you’ve got to hide it from the kids


Coo coo ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson
Jesus loves you more than you will know, wo wo wo
God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson
Heaven holds a place for those who pray, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey


Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidates’ depate
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you’ve got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose


Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you, wo wo wo
What’s that you say, Mrs. Robinson
‘Joltin Joe’ has left and gone away, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey

No comments: