Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Plans for the week?

The kids are out of town on a school trip. I am out of town on business. What are Wife's plans?

I wish I knew: partly for all the easy, base reasons (jealousy, prurience, all those vices that we're supposed to be able to overcome as adults), and partly because I wish she felt she had some reason to trust me with information like that.

Does she have any such reason? I don't know. I haven't yelled over any of her amours in a long time. The only times I get nasty about them are when she tries to hide what is going on. I don't know what it takes for her to trust me on a topic like this, but I wish I knew the criteria and could find some way to meet them.

Do I trust her when she tells me that her only plans involve watching movies and sewing a new dress? No, not really.

The last time she had a week to herself like this, she spent much of it in bed with Boyfriend 2. Last weekend she told me that she had broken up with Boyfriend 2 "for good" a few months ago. I have no idea whether she is in contact with Boyfriend 3. If she is, he would be in easy driving distance and a likely partner -- the emotional side of that affair was way more intense than most of her others, and she tells me he is really fantastic in bed. (This is just the kind of thing a husband wants to hear, ain't it? On the other hand, if it is true then yes, I would rather hear it. Lying is poisonous.) The flip side is that if Boyfriend 3's wife ever catches him with my Wife again, she'll cut off his balls with a kitchen knife. Boyfriend 4 is too far out of town these days to be a realistic possibility, and Wife continues to insist to me that they are now "just friends". In a way that's almost too bad. For all his faults, Boyfriend 4 was in many ways my favorite of the lot; and as long as he had her attention, she was less likely to wander off with one of the others.

Then there is Boyfriend 5, but he (or "they" -- see my previous post) is allegedly out of the country and unavailable.

But Wife hasn't been approaching this week as gloomy and depressed as I would expect if she were going to be all alone. Is that just residual giddiness from her new online affair with Boyfriend 5 (all of them)? Or does she have other plans that she is just keeping quiet?

Inquiring minds want to know. They just won't get a chance to find out, I expect ....

No comments: