Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"More difficult in any way you want to name"

Recently a reader e-mailed me privately to ask, "Am I the only one of your readers who believes D when she says that you have nothing to do with the break up of her marriage? I'm in a very similar situation myself ..., and I can say with both honesty and accuracy that my relationship with a, or indeed any, man other than my husband in no way contributed to the demise of my marriage. I'd be willing to bet that leaving her husband was something that D had considered seriously more than once, but the leaving seemed just as unappealing as staying, and very certainly more difficult in any way you want to name. I say, give her credit for being an adult - a very astute and self aware adult - and accept what she says, not just as the truth as she sees it, but the truth."

For myself, I have to agree that I am coming to a similar conclusion. It is true that some months ago, when D first talked about divorce, I couldn't help but be struck by the timing. (It was right after our first date.) And so I assumed that somehow her divorce was all about me. Self-centered little prat, ain't I?

But I have come to realize that this makes no sense. D has been talking to me lately about the disintegration of the life she knew, and she has made it abundantly clear that she does not imagine I am somehow going to magically fix everything. She takes it for granted that I have no plans to leave Wife, and that we will continue to live in different states for the forseeable future. She recognizes that I have not promised her anything to the contrary, and that (if anything) I am on the whole unhappy about and uncomfortable with her impending divorce. But it's not about me, so my opinions (rightly) count for bupkis. For good or ill, it is about D and her husband and their thirty years together. Nothing else.

But to say it's not about me is not to say it is simple or easy. My correspondent is right about that. D has been going through an absolute hell of a time the last ... well I guess it has been two weeks since my last post. She saw her husband for Easter, wrote me glowingly about the vigil and the service, and then got into a bitter fight with her husband over some comment he made about the Easter litany. I don't know the details, obviously; I wasn't there. But it sounded like the kind of fight I have with Wife sometimes, that just materializes out of nowhere. One minute you are discussing something inconsequential, making idle chit-chat over morning coffee; the next minute somebody says something wrong or ill-considered, and there are tears and shouts and recriminations and nobody quite knows how you got there. D told me that she replayed the conversation and the fight over and over in her mind the rest of Easter Sunday, as she drove all the way back to the city where she works during the week. And the more she chewed it over, the worse she felt.

This story, by the way, constitutes proof (if proof were needed) that D is telling the literal truth when she says the divorce is not about me. Fights like that don't really materialize out of nowhere. They can't. As in physics, nothing comes of nothing. Fights like that can only appear and intensify that fast if they follow well-trodden pathways, cuing scripts that have been rehearsed between the same two people for years, ripping the scabs off of very old hurts. Whatever the history between D and her husband -- and I am coming to realize that I know next to nothing about it -- it long predates anything to do with me, or with our affair.

When I spoke with her on the phone yesterday, D was in a bad state. She was mad at me for ... well, nothing, really, when you come right down to it. And after we had talked for an hour she no longer sounded mad. But she still had this fight with her husband on her mind; then work has been crazy for a month or more, and she is heading into a month of even more intense craziness; and everything is falling apart. Look at it from where I stand, Hosea, she implored me. My marriage of thirty years is ending -- thirty years of high hopes and ideals and promises. My children are both away at university, but honestly they are both pretty conflicted about this. I am looking at having to do things for myself that I have never done in my entire life. Hosea, I've never had to do my own financial planning. I don't even know how to do my own taxes -- I've never done them! My work is run by madmen, and I have no idea if I will even have a job by the fall. I spend twelve hours a day at work, and then I come back to my apartment where I am alone! And I'm looking at being alone for decades to come, very likely for the rest of my life, ... with only brief visits with you here and there when you can get away. And meanwhile you go home to your wife -- here her voice caught -- and your children and you can be domestic with them, and .... Do you know how hard it is for me to talk to Wife every day and listen to her complain about you, and all I want to do is scream at her "You're living with the man I love and I don't even know when I'm going to see him again, and you have the gall to complain about it?" And then at the end of the day you can go home and ... Hosea, where is my home? This little apartment I'm renting to be near my work? Or the house that I own with my husband, where he lives and I don't? Or where, exactly? I know that I've chosen the situation myself, and I know that you've never promised me anything, and I don't even think you owe me anything, ... and I know that the only way out is through. But Hosea, some days it is so hard.

Some days it is so hard. Got that. And lately she has been going through a lot of those days.

I wish there were something I could do. I hate for her to suffer like this. When I hear it, I feel like a jerk for not abandoning everything to catch the next plane out to where she is. But I know it's crazy to think like that. And I know neither of us is really planning on crazy. And so I know this means she is going to go through a lot more pain before this is all through.


4 comments:

Kyra said...

I think most of us who think it has something to do with you do not think that she is literally divorcing her husband for you. I think it is merely that her relationship with you has shown her something that makes her marriage seem, in contrast, less fulfilling or even downright shallow and meaningless.

I was saying just today that I think infidelity isn't the disease, it is just a symptom (albeit a very big one and one with consequences of its own.) It perhaps tipped the scales of something that has been years in the making.

(Note - I don't think all infidelities are about flaws in a marriage. Some people want to stay married or just simply are not monogamous by nature or many other things. But in the case of marriages that dissolve following infidelity, I think they rarely dissolve because of the infidelity itself.)

But the last part made me wonder something entirely unrelated: why does D continue to talk to Wife? I imagine that were I in her shoes, I would feel far more guilt and anxiety about the betrayal of a friendship than I would about the infidelity itself (since it is your infidelity in this case and not D's). Beyond that, it must serve as a painful reminder both of your relationship at home and of all that in life she might wish under different circumstances to have with you. Has she provided an explanation of maintaining that contact?

Elizabeth Untiedt said...

It's interesting that Kyra brings up the symptom thing.

When I left my first husband (a short marriage of two very young people), my current/ex husband said, "I don't want to ever find that I was just a symptom." And he wasn't. But I don't think he ever believed that.

My point: that first marriage needed to end. I was in love again, but that was irrelevant- the marriage needed to end anyway.

Huh. I don't think my comment was very helpful.

Hosea Tanatu said...

Kyra -- Her contact with Wife has drifted in and out over the years. There were years (for example) when D and her family were living and working in a different country ... and needless to say she wasn't in such frequent contact then.

But these days she is concerned -- as I am -- that Wife has far too little contact with the real world and spends far too much time wrapped up in fantasies about Boyfriend 5 and his parallel universe. Since D is still, after all, one of Wife's few longterm friends ... and since Wife has trouble getting her contact with the real world from me ... D feels that she really has to check in on Wife on a pretty regular basis, to see how she is doing and to give her that contact.

And so sometimes D and I find ourselves talking like colleagues instead of lovers, trying to diagnose Wife's latest weirdness. It is an odd situation. But I know it's not an easy one for D.

Mags -- The "symptom" concept is actually pretty interesting. I think that may be relevant here. Or even that is probably an oversimplification, but I think it is a useful corrective to the more self-centered idea that it's all about me. :-)

Meanwhile, ... ummm, ... would it be in bad taste for me to ask whether there are still more husbands tucked away in your closet besides these two? Yeah, I figured it would, so I withdraw the question. But sweetheart, this falling-in-love business can be dangerous. Try not to bruise yourself ....

Elizabeth Untiedt said...

Hosea- just the two (so far, but I'm only 34... ha!) I talked a little about the first marriage on my blog yesterday.

The counselor today said that maybe I chose controlling men who don't particularly love me, and then enable their behavior because of some need I have to prove my self worth to myself. I'm not sure. Still thinking about that one.