Saturday, September 26, 2015

E-mailing Marie

About a month ago I wrote a letter to Marie, my old girlfriend from college, using an address that Schmidt gave me. I heard nothing back. It's possible she simply doesn't want to hear from me -- there's a story behind that, which I should tell you one of these days -- but I keep thinking it has been a long time. We must both of us be in very different places than we used to be, right? Ancient history is ancient history, ... right?

So today I sent her an e-mail, ... again, to an address that Schmidt gave me. Maybe she'll reply. Maybe not. Maybe I'll get an auto-reply back that there is no such address ....
Dear Marie,
 
About a month ago I sent a note snail-mail to what might have been your address. (I got the address from Schmidt, who confessed that maybe it was out of date.) Up till now I haven't heard back, which could mean almost anything: the address was wrong, you've been out of town, you've been busy, or you can't quite remember who I am. :-)
 
So I'm trying this e-mail address (and this, too, Schmidt admitted might be out of date). My only questions are whether this is in fact a good address and whether you are at the other end of the line. After that, maybe how you've been doing over the past ... ummm ... many years?
 
I'll keep this note short -- like the earlier letter -- in case it miscarries and ends up pestering some innocent third party. And I don't have any third addresses to try, so if this one misses I'll let it drop. But if you are indeed at the other end of the line, and if you feel like saying hello -- why then, Hello! And how have you been? And the conversation can find its own path from there ....
 
Hosea Tanatu
 

No comments: