Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Successful parenting?

Son 1 started a new job last week. For a variety of reasons I can't tell you a lot about it, but let me say that he is working for the government in the general area of security. (Actually I don't know a lot more than that, because there is so much he's not allowed to tell me.) He's still living in my apartment, though. 

Anyway tonight as he made dinner, Son 1 told me what little he could about his day. In particular he said one of his colleagues was going on at some length about all the different jobs he had had before getting into the field of security. Apparently he had a very colorful curriculum vitae. But at one point this fellow said, "In fact, I considered making a career in standup comedy, but there was only one thing that stopped me." 

Like a flash, without time even to think, Son 1 interjected, "You weren't any good at it?"

Well no, it turns out the "one thing" was that he didn't have the $400 for a seminar in How To Do Standup Comedy. But he acknowledged that Son 1's answer was funnier, and the timing was perfect.

I don't know what other Life Lessons he learned along the way, but Son 1 has learned comic timing, and how to be a smartass at someone else's expense. So I guess I must have taught him something, huh?


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: