Monday, October 29, 2012

"Don't want to deal with the shit storm"

One of the peculiar things about Durmstrang is that they don't excuse students for Thanksgiving.  Rather, their idea is that students should invite their families to come up and feast on campus.  Thanksgiving is in less than a month at this point, so we have started making plans.  In particular my father has been e-mailing everyone in the family, asking which of a dozen minor variations (on the same basic idea) we all endorse.  I responded with a few pointers and then got this e-mail from Son 1 (only to me, no cc's):

Son 1:  I'd really rather not go to Durmstrang for Thanksgiving, or anywhere for that matter.

Hosea:  "Or anywhere" means what?  Stay at Hogwarts?  I think they lock the dorms.  Stay in [your grandparents' town] or [our town]?  But Grandma and Grandpa and Mom and I will all be eating Thanksgiving dinner at Durmstrang ....

Son 1:  Mostly I don't want to deal with the shit storm I know will erupt between mom and grandpa.

Hosea:  Right.  Got it.

I am hoping that they will both be on their good behavior because we'll be out in public among hundreds of other people.

That is a hope and not a promise, naturally.  And after our last trip to visit you at Hogwarts, I have to admit my confidence level is not at 100%.

But I'm not sure what else we should do, at least this time around. Normally we'd all congregate at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  But since Son 2 will be at Durmstrang, so will Mom and I (and therefore you); and so it would be a little awkward to tell the rest of the family they can't come, especially when the school mailed an invitation straight to Grandma and Grandpa.

If they behave badly, then I think we can say that in future years there have to be some restrictions.  But right now ... I don't have a good alternate plan in mind.  It's awkward, and so I hope for the best.

If you have any more practical ideas, please let me know ....

Son 1:  Besides being somewhere else? No.


What can I say?  The kid's got a point ....  (sigh)




 

No comments: