Monday, October 1, 2012

No lawyer yet?

Wife mentioned this weekend that she hasn't secured an attorney yet.  But it's not just laziness.  She says she has approached three already, and none of them has been willing to take her as a client.  Isn't that odd?

I know at least one of the attorneys she has contacted, ... a woman married to one of Wife's former bosses, who therefore knows Wife personally.  Wife tells me that our assets were too small to interest this woman; but hell, does that really matter?  I thought lawyers were paid by the hour, not on a percentage of the client's assets.  So naturally my own theory is that she took one look at the name and said to herself, "I don't want to have to deal with her. Forget it!"

Does that explain the other two?  I have no idea.  I don't know who they were.  Maybe (for that matter) Wife might have invented them.  Or maybe they knew her personally.  Or maybe ... well, almost anything.

But what happens if Wife can't get competent legal counsel?  Does she just take the advice of her friends, who will tell her "Oh, when my hairdresser's brother's niece got a divorce, this is how it worked for her ...."?

I have no idea.

No comments: