Friday, September 10, 2010

"You could visit D"

Next week I'll be out of town for a week and a half: first, for a two-day training class Over Here, and then for a week-long conference Over There. In between, I'm going to spend the weekend with D. She can't get away from work for more than that right now, but it does mean we'll see each other. In the background I kind of wonder what it will be like at home, with just Wife and Son 2 to be each other's company for so long. But I won't let the question keep me from going.

So last night I reminded Wife of this trip.

Wife: What trip?

Hosea: You remember -- I told you about it before.

Wife: You may have told me, but I don't remember. How long will you be gone?

Hosea: A week and a half.

Wife: Wow, that's pretty long.

Hosea: Yes, but I've wrapped together two different destinations: this training class Over Here, and then the conference Over There.

Wife: You're going to Over There? Gosh, that's right near the state where D lives. You could visit D.

What do I say? One day I'll just tell her that Yes, in fact, I am going to visit D. Heck, at some level she probably knows already, although I would bet a middling sum that she hasn't let herself know that she knows. But I haven't decided when to say something, and right now I am continuing to put it off. So I asked her, "Do you know where exactly in that state D lives?"

Wife: Ummm, ... no.

Hosea: Well I'm going to be in That City There, which is a fair distance from the state line, and I'll have to be at the conference every day. You aren't making this sound real practical.

Wife: [no real comment] ....

No comments: