Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ancient history

I was looking through some old files this evening and found a piece of truly ancient history. This is a poem I wrote for Wife's Girlfriend 1, back when they were going together and I was desperately trying to ... ummm ... ingratiate myself into her bed. (I think I mentioned once that Girlfriend 1 was just amazingly hot, so it was a matter of considerable frustration for me that she had absolutely no interest in me. sigh. )

Anyway, I had almost forgotten that I tried my hand at a few poems around that time. This one was just about twenty years ago; and except for one more sonnet a couple years after that (about a job I had just quit ... you had to be there) I never wrote a line again until I started writing them for D. The only reason I am including it here at all is that I'm unlikely to find it again. But it's pretty bad -- and amazingly pretentious. I rest secure in the consolation that nobody will bother to read it, however ....


A girl of four or five laughs in your smile,
As with your toes you tease our puzzled pet.
Your gentle lisp betrays a childlike style
That makes the world a game with rules not set.

But underneath your tender breast there lies
A spirit steeled to stern adversity,
Who soars with Zeus's eagles through the skies
And with Ulysses sails the wine-dark sea.

So play and passion each have left a mark,
As to your lips you press your lady love.
Your child's soft heart is warmed by every spark
Of conflagrations mortals know not of.

Though not your lover, loving I admire
Your spark divine when fanned to such a fire.


(June 3, 1991)

No comments: