Sunday, November 20, 2011

Still an anchor?

Yesterday, Wife told me she had had a nightmare the night before. Awful things were happening (I don't remember all the details, and mostly they aren't germane) and she was lost (which terrifies her). There were strangers who offered to help her find her way, but she just got more and more lost. "And," she went on, "I was trying to find you. It was like any other time I have a nightmare, I knew if I could only get to you I'd be safe."

Then she paused and reflected, "And in the dream, I even knew you didn't want to be with me any more. You didn't want me to be with you. But it didn't matter. I still knew that I had to find you, and if I did then I'd be safe." Pause.

"You really are still my anchor."

In another context, that remark might have cried out for a sarcastic rejoinder. There are so many things the symbol of an anchor can mean, and many of them aren't too good. But it didn't seem like the time for any of that.

And the crazy thing is that I suspect at one level this is even true. It's not a level that is operative in the real world, it doesn't inform anything she does, and it's not going to help anything once Son 2 is out of the house and we split up. But I don't think she was actually lying, .... It's strange.

No comments: