Wednesday, November 12, 2014

All a jumble

Gosh, Hosea, what's going on with you these days anyway?

It's all a jumble.

I found four or five reviews of "Gone Girl" that I'd like to post here -- links, I mean -- because they raise interesting questions about the nature of marriage, how men and women relate to each other, and other good topics like that.

For that matter, I've got a dozen other ideas for posts sitting around getting stale from some time several months ago when I thought them up.  But writing is like work.  Don't wanna do it if I don't have to.

What do I want to do then?  Shit, I don't know.  Sitting around reading other people's writing is pretty good.  I used to think it was fun enough to read that I wanted to join the circle of authors and write as well.  But that takes effort, don't it?

Meanwhile at work, our Facilities Manager is going to drop dead any minute -- I mean that seriously, he's been fighting cancer for years -- and finally has agreed to go home and not come into work.  Just in time for a big inspection which, in his absence, is somehow kinda my responsibility.  (It's odd. Small companies ... also small offices owned by huge behemoths ... are like that.)  So I'm looking at the scope of what's going to be inspected in a week and a half and trying to figure out ... what the hell did he actually do this year, and what did he just blow off because he could talk his way through it?  How much of this can I talk my way through?  Not so much ....

The last few weeks I've been beguiling my time at work by blogging about what the shape of the company ought to look like.  (You remember I talked about this back when I started doing it.)  This has meant talking to one of my ex-colleagues (a really creative guy) about what makes companies agile and then trying to think through how that could apply here.  OK, it's been fun ... and armchair philosophizing is always more fun than real work.  Maybe I should have put it aside and looked into the Facilities mess before now?  Naah, ... that would have meant planning ahead.  Who wants to do that?

We had a really fun discussion of death last weekend, at my volunteer work.  One of the new residents was a really bright guy who has clearly been thinking about this a lot lately (for obvious reasons), so I and one of the other volunteers sat and talked with him about death up till the staff told us it was time for lights out.  Kind of a strange topic by most lights, but I thought it was fascinating.

I'm trying to get Wife to agree with the last few details in my separation proposal, so we can get the damned thing to the lawyers.  I wonder if there's any chance the Court can still process it yet this year?  Hope so.

I'm arguing with the state tax authorities because they don't want to let me file as Head of Household for 2014, proposing something else that would mean I'd owe another couple thousand dollars of tax.  (sigh)  Maybe not.

And I got an interesting e-mail from Elly late yesterday ... it must have been really late for her, because she's on the other side of the Atlantic.  I had written her about some of this stuff, and she wrote back ...
Hosea,

I do like your letters. Well, they are. They have that personal handwritten touch. They always bring a smile, often a loud giggle, and sometimes a guffaw - though nothing to compare to yours. :-)

Thank you.

I will write properly tomorrow. But for now, good night.

Elly
xx

And I'm trying to figure out exactly what to make of it.  Normally she wouldn't write sentences like "Well, they are."  And stop there.  Not sure if she was just very tired, or if this was "drunk e-mailing" ... or what.  Maybe it's nothing.  But it's fun to speculate.  She has not, for what it's worth, followed up with another e-mail today.  

...

As I said, it's a jumble.   
   

No comments: