Thursday, November 12, 2020

Closing up shop, part 4

When I sent out email to colleagues and friends and family telling them all that I had accepted the job in Sticksville, the replies were mostly pretty positive. Some were perfunctory congratulations; one or two gave me earnest advice about preparing for the weather. Then there was this from Hil:

I am glad to hear that we as [Company] will not lose you!!! ... I hope to get the chance next year to see you again – I am missing my friend Hosea!

And this from Kathleen:

: ) : ) : )   I am so glad to hear this.

It's always nice to hear.

But I noticed something interesting. We were originally told that 27 positions were being relocated from Beautiful City to Sticksville. But to my knowledge I am only the fourth one of us to accept an offer to move. And since the announcement was back in August, I assume I am probably the last. Of course it is easy to guess why a person wouldn't want to leave here to go there, but still ... 4 out of 27? That's not a lot.

Also in a recent announcement about how the business as a whole is doing, our regional president mentioned that (as a cost-cutting measure) 25 positions had been eliminated from the books. I wonder if 23 of those were the remaining spots that were originally designated to move from here? In other words, I wonder if the ship has now sailed, or if it's still possible for anyone else to change their mind? I'll never know, of course.

  

No comments: