Saturday, June 10, 2023

Becalmed, 3

I also think I'm drinking too much.

My cough has certainly made this easier to do. If I sit up late writing a blog post (like I'm doing right now) my cough will start to ramp up. And it's so easy to pour myself something to soothe my throat. In this post a couple weeks ago, I called that an excuse, but that overstates the case. Swallowing anything will temporarily dispel the urge to cough, and thick liquids work better than thin ones. (This means spirits work better than water, since I'm not going to sit here sipping maple syrup.) Also, while the alcohol doesn't prevent me from coughing, its anesthetic properties certainly make my throat feel better afterwards. If only I could metabolize away all the booze ten minutes after I swallowed it, then it would be a great solution. Too bad it doesn't work that way.

But I started tracking how much I drink each night, a little over two years ago. And, taken as a whole, the six weeks since I got back from Scotland have been heavier than any comparable period since I started keeping the records. I can't speak to the years before that, but still.

I have not gotten to the point where it interferes with any of my regular obligations. But of course, as I pointed out before, I don't have a lot of those right now. 

Maybe I should just go to bed. Night-night.   

          

No comments: