Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Clear priorities

Yesterday I got a notification at work that the General Manager of another branch office (one in Faraway City, that I used to do a lot of work with) is leaving the company "for personal reasons."  It said nothing else about his departure.  This guy is one of the best General Managers I have ever worked with: he makes the job look easy and fun, he gets things done, he makes the right choices among difficult options, and he keeps everybody in the plant engaged.  You couldn't ask for better.  So I dropped him a note saying that I had always enjoyed working with him and wishing him well, even though I had no idea where he was going next.

This morning he replied.  After the niceties, the heart of his e-mail was this:

It has been an extremely difficult decision to leave the company, but I feel compelled to do so. I have a unique opportunity to take an extended period of time to spend with my kids. They are fast approaching an age when they will leave to pursue their own interests in life and I have a small window in time to spend with them. Who knows where I will end-up in the long run, but I have confidence that life has a way of working out.

As I said, he makes the right choices among difficult options.  We should all be so wise and trusting.

No comments: