Thursday, September 4, 2014

Candles and mattresses



I wonder if I can write a blog post by candlelight?  That's what I'm doing right now.  It's Wednesday night and I'm in my apartment and I just finished dinner … and candlelight is so much more pleasant that the overhead electric light that I'd rather not blow them out and reach for the switch.  There is still a little light in the sky outside the window from a dim twilight, but not enough to do anything by unless you can do it in the dark.  It would be fine for sitting outside with a glass of wine, for instance.  My dining table is up against a big window, and that's where I'm sitting right now as I write: somehow my desk is covered with papers and I put my desk chair into storage to make room for the boys to sleep in my living room over the summer.  It's a small apartment.  They are back at school but I haven't put everything to rights yet.  I have great hopes for this weekend.

What's interesting is that I haven't even moved their mattresses back into my bedroom yet.  I own two mattresses in all the world – I took these off the boys's bunk beds when I moved out of the house, way back a year ago.  During the year that followed, I stacked the two of them together and slept on both when it was just me alone; I dragged one into the living room when one boy or the other was with me; and I put the two side-by-side when it was me and Debbie.  But all summer long, now, I let the boys have the two mattresses in the living room, while I slept on the floor in the bedroom.  Fair enough, you do what you have to do … only, I realize I've gotten into the habit of sleeping on the floor at this point, and I'm not sure I want to go back to sleeping on a mattress or two.  I've even been thinking of ways I could rearrange the furniture if I didn't have to leave floor-space for a bed: maybe move the desk and filing cabinet back into the bedroom and buy some honest-to-God living room furniture. 

So then could I out-and-out get rid of the mattresses altogether?  (Or offer them to Wife, which would be a dirty trick because I know she never gets rid of anything?)  Of course, it's just wild-eyed dope-smoking at the moment; I've got lots of other things to do that are a higher priority than to rearrange my apartment.  And I'd better not get carried away.  One way or another, I still have to be able to provide the boys a place to sleep while they are here.  What's more, before I consign myself to sleeping on the floor permanently, I should consider the possibility that somewhere down the line I might want to share my bed with somebody else.  “Hey there, beautiful – why don't you throw off your things off and curl up with me on the floor?” doesn't sound too sexy to me.  What do you think?

Partly it's a question of what I want my life to look like in the long term, and I don't have a good picture in my mind yet.  Some things I know.  I want to be in a small space – even when I walk down the street admiring other people's houses, I pause longer at the cute little houses than at the extravagant big ones.  I don't want to own very much stuff, as a purely practical matter: I'm not very good at taking care of stuff, so it's not fair for me to own a lot of it and either have to take care of it or let it decay into rubble.  I want to be able to use my space – and the things in it – well.  And I want to be surrounded by art – art and other beautiful things.  But this business of sleeping on the floor kind of took me by surprise, so I don't know what I think of it yet.  Also I haven't really settled in my mind the sex question: I certainly believe (and I've told you often enough) that I don't want a “romantic relationship” “right now”.  But I haven't given up any hope of sex, at any rate not if my fantasy life is to be believed.  I don't masturbate nearly as often as I used to, but I find myself wishing that I wanted to masturbate.  And I still fantasize about the sheer companionship side of a relationship, even if I don't want all the baggage that goes with it (like having to compromise for another real, live human being).  So it's a puzzle.

On the other hand, I don't have to solve all that tonight.  By now the sun has gone all the way down, but the candlelight is still beautiful.  And I've finished off the bottle of shiraz.  Hmmm, I wonder if a little sherry would be nice before bed?  Or maybe I should just drift off to sleep as-is ….

P.S.:  As I mentioned, I am writing this Wednesday night though I assume I will post it on Thursday.  What happened to Tuesday?  Well, I spent Tuesday night writing a blog post for this social-media network they've installed at the office.  Actually I wrote it straight through dinner, eating with one hand while I typed with the other.  If anybody else had been at the table with me it would have been inexcusably rude; but as someone once wisely observed, “When you live alone all your faults disappear.”  The punchline is that I realized in the morning it was a completely stupid post.  The other commentator I thought I was correcting hadn't really said the inane things I attributed to him, and all my brilliant insights were (by the light of day) only so many dull and obvious platitudes.  So I didn't post it.  Maybe I should post it here, both to prove I was writing something last night and so you can laugh at me for how pretentious I get with the wind in my sails.  (As if you didn't already know!)  Or maybe I won't.  How about I decide that tomorrow, when I'm sober (for a change) and while I'm posting this one?

The sherry is very tasty, by the way.  Sweet dreams, all ….


No comments: