Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Disjointed and fragmentary musings ..."

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I had tried to ask D why she asked her husband for a divorce ... and that the conversation had proven a profoundly unsatisfying failure for both of us. The truth is that it was a complete catastrophe. I have outlined my first couple of attempts in this post here.

So I let the topic sit for a while. Then finally, earlier this week, with infinite pains, I sculpted an e-mail trying to re-open the question without inviting fire and brimstone down on my head. I threw away most of my smaller, subsidiary questions, and stuck with just two. Although I worded them a little more gingerly, they amounted to the following:
  1. What do you actually hope to gain from divorcing your husband that you can't already get without divorcing him?
  2. You have said that your asking your husband for a divorce was not about me ... or at least, that it was not because you wanted to marry me. OK, then why now? Besides your affair with me ... what else has changed in your life that makes you take this move now when you never took it before?

What I got back was an answer -- at any rate, in a manner of speaking. But it was nowhere near as concrete as the questions I had asked. It also confirmed my private suspicions that (1) she had no concrete benefit in mind when she asked for a divorce; and (2) it really did have a lot to do with me after all. Here is the core of what she wrote:

I cannot help but think that your ... question is really more than just about my possible divorce. It is also about you, and about us. In short, why after twenty-five years of faithfulness to Wife, have you chosen to have an affair with me? What has changed for you? To paraphase you, how, in heavens name, did we get here? I find myself asking the same questions, of course, because my relationship with you cannot help but impact my marriage. I'm not sure how to analyze this for myself, and I don't claim that any of the following is more than my disjointed and fragmentary musings. Begin with certain characteristics. Honesty. You had that, and a certain steadfast courage in dealing with the various aspects of your personal and professional life. And intelligence. The mind that comprehended and discussed all the intricacies of Greek philosophy was not, could not, simply be that of a student. The loving spirit which could care for Wife, seeing clearly all her weakness, had nothing immature about it, or the wit that drew his children to him in love and admiration. And, to quote Cavafy..." I have gazed so much on beauty/that my eyes overflow with it/ The body's curves...". Somehow, deep within, my heart paused, everything seemed changed. As I wrote in October, I felt that my nerves were exposed, leaving me over-sensitized and defenseless. The inadequacies of my marriage, indeed, so much of my life, were evident. You certainly are not responsible for my decision to ask my husband for a divorce, and it is not a new thought. But have I stood in a different place recently, sometimes watching, sometimes unthinking?...yes. Do I hear music differently? Yes. Too late, too late. Things are different now....

As I once remarked, somewhat desperately, we shall manage very well as long as we are sensible. With time and distance between us, I may choose to live with my husband and have a life as good as most people could wish for. Leaving alone whether that decision is fair to him, or has anything to do with marriage as it is meant to be understood and lived, are questions better left for another day. I have already said too much.

Wow.

My thoroughly mundane reply was that I realized I still had to think through and write my own account of what has changed for me ... and so maybe what she is saying is that her answer will be contained in a conversation and not a monologue. Meanwhile ... she stands watching and unthinking? She hears music differently? I think this is not just your garden-variety affair for her ....

Wow.

5 comments:

L. said...

I'm sure her decision had a lot to do with what happened between you, but you may only be auxiliary. Maybe she just doesn't want to settle anymore.

I understand her answer.

What kind of answer were you expecting? And what kind of answer were you hoping for? Or possibly dreading?

Kyra said...

It is apples and oranges to me, the question she asked back. You are not leaving your wife. Why have an affair now? After being faithful for so long? Because it is her and because of how you feel about her. Is that her answer about why she seeks a divorce now? Seems so, yes.

As L suggests, it may be that she is not divorcing to be with you, but rather being with you makes her realize she wants a divorce. But... Does it matter? Whether she understands intellectually that you will not leave Wife, no doubt at some point she will want you to.

It seems that when she divorces, you will be on unequal ground. And most certainly that will result in pain, most likely for her. But also perhaps for Wife and you.

I'm sorry. It is such a difficult situation for you.

Anonymous said...

I get it too. She's had a paradigm shift. There's something better for her beyond her marriage. It's not Hosea in particular so much as the knowledge that men like Hosea exist.

Anonymous said...

I guess I haven't been by for a couple of months .... and wow, has your life turned a 360.

It's always been a proven fact that spouses of partners that cheat will eventually cheat.

You are at a comfortable level that you can carry your affair without hiding it from your wife. But some people, and perhaps your new friend, carries the guilt and the "want" to be with the right person (in this case you). I, however, think you are just passing time.

Hosea Tanatu said...

Finally getting back to follow up some of your comments: ....

L. -- I don't know what kind of answer I was hoping for. I mean, what I was hoping for was that she wouldn't ask her husband for a divorce. So I have to admit I was a little upset at the turn of events. I don't know what answer would have reassured me at this point, but I figured I had to ask.

Kyra -- Yes, her divorce would put us on uneven ground. I know she has said that she absolutely accepts that I am not planning to leave Wife. But she has already made other predictions about her own emotional life that she has had to revise in the light of events. I wonder about this one.

The thing is that I love her, but not enough to leave Wife over her. So yes, I think there is a risk that she is setting herself up for a certain amount of heartbreak.

Coquette [wherever you are!] -- I have thought some more about what she wrote that I quote here, and I actually don't think that it is about discovering that there are "men like me." (As a side note: if she weren't already in love, I don't think she could possibly write such over-the-top prose about how wonderful I am ... because in the cold light of day I'm not really that extraordinary. Moving on.) I think her motivation has more to do with her notion of what marriage is supposed to be, and her decision that what she has today can never match that ideal. The risk is that she may be enough of an idealist that she won't settle for half a loaf. I, by contrast, would definitely prefer half a loaf to none at all.

Sharon -- Welcome to my blog! It was only a few minutes ago that I left a comment for you over on ID Cheaters suggesting you comment here ... I'm sorry that I didn't recognize you until just now. A couple of thoughts on your comments ....

I hate being thought of as a statistic, and the fact is that for 25 years I didn't cheat. So I wonder how reliable is the "proof" that spouses of cheaters will eventually cheat. Do you think that all the folks who contribute over at ID Cheaters are just waiting for their own chances to cheat? Or, if you don't mind my asking, ... are you?

I may have left you with a bit of a misunderstanding, because in fact I have not told Wife anything about my affair with D. Nor do I really want to, if I have a choice. I don't think it would be a catastrophe if she found out ... but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to.

I'm also not quite sure if "passing time" is exactly the right way to describe it. I love D, and I admire her in a lot of ways. At the same time, it is certainly true that my primary commitment remains to Wife and the kids. I don't believe that there is one "right" person for each of us to marry, so I am not in a hurry to leave Wife for anybody else. Maybe this is what you mean by "passing time," but to me that phrase sounds more casual that what I feel is going on between us. And I'm not interested in casual sex with anybody.

Does this make sense?