Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movie meme, updated

A few months ago, I posted on the Movie meme: whom would you cast in the movie of your life (or at any rate your blog life)? But this post was out of date almost as soon as I wrote it, because that was the same month that my friendship with D started morphing from casual acquaintance to full-blown affair. And whom would I cast as D?

I don't know enough actresses to have a good idea (I think I need to get out more). So a couple of evenings ago, during a lull in our love-making back at her motel (the family were all long since asleep), I asked her. That is, I explained the basic idea behind the question and then asked whom she would cast as herself.

Her first answer was based on appearance: back when she was a young woman, people were always telling her that she looked like Natalie Wood.















Then I made the question a little more precise, by asking her whom she would cast based on character ... or at any rate, based on the kind of character that this or that actress most typically plays. She thought for only a moment and then replied with ... Glenda Jackson.


I can see it, too, or at least parts of it. The high intelligence, the unstoppable energy, the subtlety and sensitivity ... these are all features that they both share. Should I be worried by the fact that it is so easy for Glenda Jackson to make her characters look neurotic? Or is that over-reading the comparison?


I guess I'll find out ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, everyone is neurotic in their own way...

Hosea Tanatu said...

I told D that I had posted that she looks like Natalie Wood, and she was a bit flustered: "OMG, don't tell them that! Natalie Wood was far more beautiful than I am."

Well, I have been pestering her for some time for a photo, even if I can't keep it on my desk; also for pictures of her when she was younger. They just arrived today -- and when she was a young woman, that's exactly who she looked like! Beautiful.

Of course, I may be biased.