Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Call me"

I had a phone call with D tonight that ran something like this. The way I tell it here involves a bit of creative interpretation on my side -- amplifying reality here and there to make a more imteresting poem. So you shouldn't jump to any conclusions about what is "really" going on. I figure in this case reality is an inspiration and no more. Still, I don't think it's too bad for something I tossed off in a hurry ....

.

.

"Tomorrow call my phone just after six.

I'm on the road – alone an hour or two.

They say that phones and driving shouldn't mix,

But I am famished for a chance to talk with you."

.

And so I called, a bit past six o'clock.

I heard a rustle, voices, then a hush.

"My darling, are you free now? Can you talk?"

"I'm not," she said, and hung up in a rush.

.

I know she'll send me e-mail with the dawn,

Assuring me how true I'll find her heart.

She'll tell me, "Truly this is what went on."

If only Truth for her weren't such an art!

.

And yet I'll love her every bit as well,

No matter where she was, or what she'll tell.

No comments: