Monday, August 8, 2011

You can kind of tell these things, part 2

A while ago -- gosh, now that I look it was over a year ago -- I posted a reflection on how sometimes (maybe even often) you can see problems at the beginning of a relationship which doom it in the end. But then after seeing them you go ahead anyway: get married, move in together, whatever it is. In retrospect you wonder, "My God how is this possible?" And yet it seems to happen.

I don't have any more special insights on this question than I did a year ago, but I saw today that somebody at the Huffington Post wrote about the exact same issue, here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-gauvain/doubts-before-marriage_b_919868.html

Just for what it is worth ....

1 comment:

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

I think we're very willing to dismiss a whole host of things to live up to expectations, desires, the course we think we're supposed to be on, etc.

Or we downgrade those concerns. (Oh, he doesn't seem to be too interested in sex? I'm sure it won't be a big deal...it's not all that important anyway...)