Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Go public again?

Should I take this blog public again?

I started to think about it because I've started (in a slow and dilatory way) to try to put my affairs in order. Not that I particularly expect to die soon (God forbid!) but I don't want to leave things a disorderly mess if something happens unexpectedly. 

So I need to write a current will (since my last one dates from before my separation from Wife and is explicitly invalidated by that), and some other things. I've written a letter to my boys telling them where to find the paperwork on my insurance, and so on. All the usual stuff. 

But what do I do with this blog? 

Right now it is locked up so only a dozen people can read it, and I'm pretty confident none of them is reading it any more. (If I'm wrong and you are reading this, please comment to let me know!) There's a lot of data here, and I don't really want it lost forever, or buried under a rock, or deleted in a routine purge of the Blogspot server. While I want to preserve my privacy in the short run, I am conceited enough that I want to preserve my writings in the long run.

On the other hand, if I write the detailed access information and password into that letter for the boys, ... well, right now all that is just in my filing cabinet. It's not in a safe deposit box or anything like that. So in principle either boy could find it, discover the blog, and edit or delete it at any time. I sure don't want that either!

Why did I go private? Because I was worried that Wife would find the blog and use it against me in the separation. But that reason has expired because the separation agreement is now signed and filed. There is no further advantage for her to get.

What else? Well I admit to some pretty discreditable behavior here. I wouldn't want my boys to read it until after I die, and I wouldn't especially want Marie or Debbie to find it. Could they?

It seems highly unlikely to me that the boys would ever find it unless I gave them explicit directions. The only way I can imagine Marie or Debbie finding it is if either one ever googled a line of poetry I wrote for her and the search results led her here. Is that likely? No, but I suppose it is imaginable. 

I think what I want is this:
- to take the blog public again
- to prevent (by magic) any old girlfriend from ever finding it
- to put the actual editing information (URL and password) into a document that the boys cannot see until I die, like something kept for them at a bank.

I can imagine how to do the first and third. I have no idea how to do the second. Maybe I need to think a little longer.

I hope the whole project doesn't turn out to be urgent. Let me know your thoughts.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: