Sunday, July 26, 2020

Is this a problem?

Sometimes I worry that I drink too much. 

How much? Qualitatively I think it averages out to four drinks a night ... maybe sometimes five. (Like tonight.) But I have never compared the exact volumes to the technical definition of "one drink" that is used in those official pronouncements that say it is OK for men to drink two drinks a night, and women one. So am I overcounting? Yeah , right. Nice try. I'm probably undercounting. It's probably more. 

I do not drink so much that it becomes a problem in daily life. I still hold my job just fine (knock wood). It's true that in an age of COVID-19 I don't have to go into the office. But I always wait till dinner (or almost) and I never miss a [remote] meeting at work. So far as it concerns anyone I interact with, I'm perfectly sober. 

But then the evening comes (while I'm all alone) and ... well ... I'm not so sober any more. 

Is this a problem?

The advice I read is inconsistent. On the one hand I see advice that says if you drink more than two a day (as a man) you are about to die any minute now. On the other hand I see advice that says, as a good citizen, all I have to do is watch my habit so it doesn't get worse and doesn't have a bad effect on those around me. 

What do I do? God knows I'm not eager to give over to any designated "experts" the right to decide whether or how much I should drink. On the other hand, I don't want to shorten my lifespan so that it ends next week. 

So probably it would be best if I decided to cut back on my own.

Sure. Maybe next week.


Sent from my iPhone    
    

No comments: