Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Sloth

Yesterday I wrote about distraction. But along with the distraction I am seeing just enormous levels of sloth.

I have gotten into a pattern where I get up in the morning, fix and east breakfast, and then go back to bed for 30-60 minutes more sleep. Today I had a nap in the afternoon, as well. That's two naps during the day, and I'm getting ready to go to bed early tonight.

I am accomplishing almost nothing -- maybe one task a day. There's a lot of holiday cooking that I normally do every year around Christmastime. Haven't done it this year. (Wait, I made one batch of cookies. Which I then ate all myself.) Today I finally went to the store to get all the ingredients that I need. Or pretty much -- at any rate enough to get started and well under way. Came home, put them all away, had lunch, had my second nap. Then got up and played Solitaire. Oh … it turns out that one of the ingredients I got was wrong: I needed this variety and I got that variety instead. That's easy: just go to the store to return and exchange it. Right? Haven't done it yet.

So let's look at that list again:

  • excessive sleep
  • lack of motivation (rarely leaving the apartment unless I really have to)
  • overeating
  • overdrinking (though I've had none today, huzzah!)
  • for the hell of it, let's toss in "social withdrawal" which is pretty much a defining feature of 2020 
A quick Google search will confirm that these are all well-known symptoms of depression. I take medications for that already. I hope this doesn't mean I need more. Probably it means what I need is a kick in the pants: if I were more active, I'd feel like being more active, in a "virtuous circle." That's logical, at any rate.

Or I could just go back to bed. What the hell, right?

      

No comments: