Sunday, August 16, 2020

Overdoing quarantine?

What's the new consensus on how often to shower? I mean for people like me, who live alone but hold normal office jobs that (these days) are conducted mostly from home.

How about leaving home? How often, and for what?

I worry that I'm failing to measure up.

This last week I showered on Tuesday morning and then again some time in the middle of Saturday. Call it maybe 100 hours, for a round number. Back in the olden days (before mid-March of this year), I showered daily. If I went more than 36 hours without a shower my skin started to itch uncontrollably all over. This week I hardly noticed.

I went into the office on Monday because of this and that. I went to the dentist on Wednesday. Other than that I have walked out to check my mailbox. When I remember. Which means less than once a day. I have not exercised this week. At all.

Last time I went to the store I bought some fresh produce to make a couple of recipes that looked interesting. I still hope to make them before the produce gets too old and disappointing.

Some time last week, or maybe it was the week before, I decided maybe I'd be happier if I stopped drinking for a while, because I no longer enjoyed how it made me feel. This seems to have been a positive change, at least so far. I'm sleeping better and with less interruption. These spells of dryness never last (or haven't in the past), but I'll take it while I can.

The world is very strange these days. I keep hoping some day there will be a "new normal" to adapt to. Somehow I don't think this can possibly be it.
       

No comments: