Monday, September 6, 2021

Sociopath postscript

Well, our conversation (following on from here) was something of an anticlimax. I did not raise any of the relationship-shaking issues, but mostly let her talk. I did explain that if she were determined to see the whole topic like a war, then it really made more sense to treat this engagement as an immaterial skirmish rather than anything bigger. For her part, she said (while trying to smile) that at least she hadn't kept her upset a secret but had let me know right away … a sign that she had learned from when I mentioned that I have a problem with her habit of keeping issues bottled up inside her without any word of warning.

I also mentioned as a casual observation that she and I almost never discuss politics, but didn't bother to explain why not. There's time for all that later.

And then after a while we discussed trivial shit: things like what medical insurance plan should she select during her company's Open Enrollment period? I guess the rest can wait.

     

No comments: