Friday, May 6, 2022

Imitating Homer

Wow, another post referencing Homer in just under a month! I guess I must be on a roll ... or, umm, something ....

I thought about posting these over on the Patio, — just because they are Greek and pretentious, I guess. But there's really nothing philosophical about them. They are hymns, sort of — supposed to be in the mode of the Homeric Hymns. The first four are, indeed, directly adapted from specific Homeric Hymns, and date from the autumn of 1990; the next two are merely inspired or suggested by Homeric Hymns, and date from the last week or so.

For other dactylic poems of mine, you can look here and here.


To Athene (Hymn 11)

I sing of Athene, who watches our city,
With Ares she thrills to the waging of war!
Who keeps safe from harm the host charging to battle,
From shouting and plunder to come home once more.


To Hera (Hymn 12)

Golden-throned Hera, the daughter of Rhea,
The Queen of Immortals and fairest I sing,
Whom all of the gods high on lofty Olympus
Do honor with Zeus the loud-thundering King.


To Demeter (Hymn 13)

Awesome divinity, bright-haired Demeter.
You and your daughter, dear Persephone,
The fairest of maidens -- I sing in your honor.
Hail Goddesses! Guide both my city and me.


To the Most High, Son of Kronos (Hymn 23)

Of Zeus I shall sing now, the greatest in heaven,
His far-seeing wisdom puts all to the test.
With Right he takes counsel -- she sits near beside him.
Be gracious, O Kronion, noblest and best.


To Hermes

Cyllenian Hermes, begotten of Maia,
Who shyly stayed home in her cave, out of sight. 
Olympian Zeus came to visit in secret;
And they lay in love through the dark of the night.

Fortunate Hermes – your first day of life, you stole
Phoebus’s cows while pretending to sleep.
You strung the first lyre and high in the mountains
Of grass-rich Arcadia tended your sheep.

Luck-bringing Hermes, the master of speeches,
whose honey-dripped words can achieve any aim.
Guardian of travelers and merchants and thieving, 
For whom all our finding and losing's a game!

Olympian herald, you shepherd dead spirits
To meadows of asphodel, pallid and grey;
I sing of you now, and will sing again later.
Be gracious and grant that I not lose my way.



To Athene

Pallas Athene, spear-brandishing goddess,
Who bears the Gorgoneion — terrible shield!
Fearsome in battle, you scatter your enemies,
Stealing their wits till in terror they yield..

Pallas Athene, the guardian of cities,
Rejoicing in Justice and Right undefiled;
Who teaches the know-how of civilization,
That sets us apart from the beasts and the wild:

The bridle for horses, the loom to weave fabric,
the flute to make music, the olive for oil.
All these and more are the tools that you give us,
To bring productivity out of our toil.

Friend of the crafty and peerless in counsel,
Your sight probing deeply, your eyes shining grey;
I sing of you now and will sing again later.
Be gracious and grant that I not lose my way.

  

No comments: