Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Underestimating Wife ...?

I got home from work last night, as usual. The bills were on the kitchen table waiting for me. As usual.

Except that the cell phone bill had been opened.

Which showed a bunch of messages to D's cell phone.

To the tune of 1283 minutes, and 14 text messages.

Ooops.

Wife didn't say anything about it all evening, but I know she fears and avoids confrontation. I also know that we see Counselor today. It would not be out of character for her to mention it then. I'll have to see how it goes.

The thing is, I plainly underestimated her. She never opens the bills. She never looks after even the most basic kinds of information security. (Only last week did she finally disable the "message recording" feature on her IM software.) So I never worried about getting a second cell-phone and having the bill sent to my work, or anything like that.

D and I agree that if she asks, I should say yes of course we talk, and then stick to the intellectual things we discuss. We agree to denying anything sexual, although D thinks that Wife is honestly not very interested in that. D's theory is that Wife would be most interested in what we say about her, and it is easy to tell her that it's not much.

I guess I'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

justme said...

You sound almost as though you would LIKE her to know about you and D. Will be interested to hear what happens next...
(my word verification is redlyte! Seems appropriate!)

Jane said...

ooo it's getting climactic!

it's interesting how things work:

when i was doing things i shouldn't have been doing back in high school, i figured i would get away with it blissfully. i'm a pretty good schemer, if i do say so myself and my mum never checks her cellphone messages and quite frankly i remember her not even knowing how to.

yet somehow, for some reason this time she did. of course, she doesn't know the extent to my mischievous but it was enough to shame me.

good luck hosea! i do mean that.

=)

Hosea Tanatu said...

Justme -- Hmmm, what did I say that sounded like that? Do you mean, just because I've been so careless? I don't think I want her to know, although I don't believe it would be a catastrophe. The worst part would be that she would tell the kids, and that could get ugly.

Jane -- Funny choice of words. :-) Yes, well it turns out to have been a very close thing. I didn't find out until this evening how close. I'll post on it in a minute. Meanwhile, thanks for the good wishes.