Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Counseling 18

Our most recent counseling session to date seemed like two different meetings, each of about half the session.

In the first half, Wife was subdued and apparently grateful, thanking me for cleaning up the kitchen every night (something I have done most nights, but not quite all, since D was here).

In the second half she suddenly shifted gears and started yelling at me (and weeping!) for not joining her at her first appointment with a potential new internist. I told her I'd had no idea she wanted me there; she insisted that she had dropped lots of hints; and Counselor wanted to make sure each of us understood how the other felt about the whole event.

I shouldn't be dismissive, because there is (potentially) a lot of material here. It is true that Wife has a hard time stating what she wants. It is true that she feels it is rude to ask, so she'll drop hints instead. And it is true that I have trouble picking up indirect hints, and respond much better to an explicit request.

As I say, there is a lot of material here but I'm not going to address it tonight. I'm tired and I want to go to bed. On the other hand I wanted to get caught up in the sequence of Counseling sessions, if not the general narrative, because we see Counselor again tomorrow and I have a feeling this next meeting might be a doozy. So I need to be able to write about it while it is still fresh in my mind.

No comments: