Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Would you reconsider me?"

I was talking with D on the phone this afternoon. We started talking about Wife's long-distance relationship with Boyfriend 5, and how both of us believe this is a complete con-job start to finish. D said that it seems to her that Wife is finally starting to wonder the same thing too ... not that she's convinced yet, but the possibility that none of this fantasy is true has been intruding more and more upon her lately. Both D and I think this development is a good one in the sense of being healthy for Wife.

So then D asked, as she did once before, "Hosea, if Wife reconsiders her relationship with Boyfriend 5, and decides to give it all up for you ... would you reconsider me?"

This time there was only one answer I could possibly give her, so it was easier than before: "I can't imagine how."

And it's true. I don't think of it, but we usually e-mail each other two or three times a day during the week, and once or twice a day on the weekends. Today I didn't hear from D all day, ... until I finally called her in late afternoon really worried that something was wrong. No, she had been asked to do some extra work that had killed her one normal break in the day, and then she had a doctor's appointment after that. All normal stuff. But even so it was, "Oh Hosea, how ARE you? It's so good to hear your voice."

So no, I can't imagine how. That's not to say it couldn't possibly happen, but I can't see it.

And she replied, "That's good, because I can't imagine it either. I mean, not unless gravity stops working, or something like that ...."

Hopeless romantics? Us?

No comments: