Thursday, December 17, 2009

D's husband has had a stroke

I just got off the phone with her. She just heard the diagnosis. A couple of days ago she talked with him on the phone, having been back home the weekend before; on the phone he sounded very confused. One son is home for Christmas; D talked to him, then called again the next day and her husband was better. But not enough better -- she and her son decided that Husband should go to the hospital. She has been driving back home this evening (once she got off work) and just called me. The hospital confirmed it was a stroke.

She doesn't know what this means, but tells me she is sure her life has just turned a sharp corner. As a veteran of so many of Wife's medical emergencies, I have told her just to put one foot in front of the other but not to think too far ahead or make any long-range plans until she really has to ... and until she has more information about exactly what happened, how much damage there was, etc.

And she remarked that of course she has been planning to divorce him. But today, tomorrow, it may be useful that she can still sign forms as "Mrs." How long will that be true? How much does this change? We don't know.

Wow. "Turned a corner" indeed.

1 comment:

Kyra said...

I couldn't really think of anything to say when I first read this post. I hope both D and her husband are okay.

Any updates?