Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!

It's been a beautiful Sunday of doing very little.  The day has been clear and blue and warm, and I was careful to get all my bill-paying and apartment-cleaning and grocery-shopping done yesterday – didn't get to the laundry, but that can wait.  So this morning I got up, put together an Easter pie for breakfast, popped it in the overn to bake, meditated for half an hour or so, made some coffee, ... and then ate pie and drank coffee in a lazy way while reading and watching the sun and breeze play with the trees outside my window. 

After a couple of hours I changed books, picked up a hat and a walking stick, and ventured out.  A short walk brought me to a little blink-and-you-miss-it enclave of urban woodland, an enclave I discovered only within the last year on one of my walks around my new neighborhood.  The spot is so well hidden that I never knew it before, even though for the first four years we lived in this city Wife and I had an apartment no more than a mile away.  But we never had any idea.

So I sat reading in the shade of a couple large trees, for – oh gosh, I suppose it must have been another couple of hours – feeling the breeze and waving once when a young family strolled past.  When I came to the end of a major section in my book – I'm reading Dorothy Bryant's Confessions of Madame Psyche and just got to the point in 1930 where she is evicted from the campground in the woods where she had tried to establish a commune – I picked up my book and my stick and went walking some more, down past some of the better-known scenic spots in town where I sat and contentedly watched the day go past.  Then I strolled back to my apartment, rested some more, and finally decided it was time to write a couple of posts for the blog.  But I'll break off in another hour and a half or so to make dinner ... I've found a recipie that looks tasty on the page so I want to see how it comes off in reality.  

Actually after a few weeks of eating very simply – I was trying to savce money in the aftermath of my trip to Peru – I've been cooking a lot lately.  I probably could have gotten by this week on leftovers and salad without needing to cook still more.  But hell – it's Easter, right?  I'll cook some more, for the sheer fun of it as much as for the food, and then I'll have lots to hold me for the week without having to allocate time in the evenings to do anything more than re-heat.  It would be nice to have somebody to cook for, but even if it's just me I'd rather cook than not cook.  Not every night, perhaps, because my love of cooking vies with my laziness or poor planning to see who will win out on any given night.  But it's a gift I give myself on hplidays.

Happy Easter, all.


No comments: