Sunday, December 20, 2015

Letter from Marie

Several weeks after I sent Marie this letter, she wrote me back. You could read this dismissively, but I choose to see a glimmer of hope in it.
Dear Hosea,

I am glad that you and your family are well, and I hope that extends to Wife. I will say that time seems to have changed you for the better in at least one respect, that you seem to show a greater awareness of my possible range of reactions on hearing from you again. And your use of Bryant is clever.

You said that you hoped to hear from me, but I don't understand what you're hoping me to say. You seem to suggest that you are trying, or hoping to try, to resume some of the friendships you've let lapse over the years. I don't see that happening between us.

If there are things you feel it would ease your mind to say, I will afford the opportunity. Or things to ask, though I do not promise to answer.

I do wish you and yours well.

Sincerely,
Marie
And where (you ask) is the glimmer of hope in that? Easy: she says I can continue to write. And as long as the conversation is open, there is hope for making things better. It remains to be seen how much of the damage I can repair.   

No comments: