Friday, May 10, 2019

Talking?

Have you ever had the experience of meeting a stranger for the first time, and you find in a matter of minutes that you can talk meaningfully about important things?

And then have you also had the experience of seeing someone you have known for many years and realizing that you have only ever been able to talk about the blandest trivialities — the weather, say, or what’s on television?

What causes the difference?

That’s a real question, by the way, not the lead-in to an essay. Frankly I don’t know the answer. But I wish I did.

Whenever Brother and I are together, the only thing we can find to talk about is old television shows from 45 years ago, when we were kids.

On the other hand when I first met Debbie way back when we worked together, we became friends instantly, because we found we could discuss meaningful, important things with each other right away.

So the difference is not just in how well you know someone. But what is it?

I assume nobody is reading this blog anymore, so nobody will answer. But feel free to prove me wrong. I genuinely wish I knew the answer.
   

No comments: