Saturday, May 2, 2020

In case I die ....

Some day I should get around to writing a will. [Whenever anyone tells you "Some day I should" that is an exact synonym for "I will never in my life...."] But in the meantime at least I have written a letter to my boys that sits in the front of my filing cabinet that tells them things like where to find information about my insurance, etc., and how to get into my computer.

But I am torn when it comes to my two blogs (this one and the Patio). I already discussed this topic once here. But what do I do? I can tell them that the blogs exist, so at least they can read them. I don't know if there is a risk that BlogSpot might take them down if I go too long with no activity. But I don't want to give them the ability to delete it all while I'm alive. Hell, I'd just as soon they not be able to delete it after I die. Export, sure; delete, not so much.

Anyway, I was thinking about it today while updating that letter I mentioned. I try to update it once a year, just after Christmas, so you see I'm only half a year late. (sigh) What I settled for doing this time was just to list the two URLs down at the bottom of a page of people to notify in case I'm gone ... list them totally without comment. So maybe they are blogs I read? Or whatever. But then if the boys have any curiosity at all, it's easy enough to plug them into a browser to see what pops up. And I assume it will be pretty easy for them to figure out that it's me, once they start reading. The diary entries (especially the early ones) are often about events that included them. And then there's this. On the other hand I won't have made an overt statement, so if there's anything where plausible deniability is needed, maybe it's available in a stretch.

Or maybe I shouldn't be so damned subtle. Maybe I should spend less time communicating like Leo Strauss, for heaven's sake. It's not like anybody could ever tell what Strauss meant, either ....
        

No comments: