Monday, June 8, 2020

I may be getting sick

You know that I have had a cough all spring. (See, e.g., here and here.) I haven't known what it is, but I've been sure it's not COVID-19. But today for the first time I detected a real sore throat. Also I just ... feel a little funny, in ways that I can't quite articulate because I'm not sure they are clear enough that I can say for sure it's not my imagination. My skin feels just a little more sensitive than normal, as if I might be coming down with a fever. And my head has felt alternately very tired and, after a little coffee, just a little light-headed. 

Just a little. Almost negligibly. But that's how things start, isn't it?

Of course it figures that today would be the day I actually went into the office for four hours instead of staying completely at home. And I have no idea where I might have caught it. From my new neighbor? Maybe, ... I guess ...? Or from going out a couple days ago to do laundry? Or from going out a couple weeks ago to do grocery shopping? Or from going out any number of times to get a little walk in, because I've done almost nothing by way of exercise since the social distancing started in February? Or ... well, hell, I have no idea.

The key thing will be to see how I feel tomorrow. Get a good night's sleep tonight and then check ... do I feel worse, or better? I don't own an illness thermometer, but maybe I can ask my downstairs neighbors to get me one and I can reimburse them. 

I guess we'll see. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Oh, by the way, I've been posting more philosophical stuff over on the Patio, in case you are interested. It includes a reflection inspired by the current unrest sweeping across our cities. Take a look if you like.

[Update added a few days later] P.S. No, it wasn't COVID. Just a sore throat. Dust or pollen or something. That's all. It was gone by the next day.
       

No comments: