Sunday, September 6, 2020

COVID-19 diaries, part 4

 After her Zoom call (which I describe here) Debbie sent an email to all the friends and family who had been checking in on her, as follows:

I can share the good news that I am feeling much better, day by day.  I still get very tired at times, and it fluctuates throughout the day, so I continue to rest a lot, alternating with a little activity. 

Yesterday I put on my N95 mask and walked around the block in my neighborhood. That was wonderful and I hope to do it again tomorrow.  Today I got to talk with a few of you by zoom. 

My thoughts are beginning to turn to the question of when will it be safe for me to be with my daughter and her family in person again and when will it be safe to go do my own grocery shopping again.  I know the CDC says 10 days after positive test date if symptoms are improving, but my inclination is to play it safe and wait a bit longer, maybe even 3 weeks. 

It has been absolutely wonderful to hear from each of you, to reconnect, to catch up on what is happening in your lives and to hear about your families.  My heart is full!  I hope to meet with you by zoom soon.  The silver lining of being sick has been reconnecting.   I love you all so very much!

I will send out a few more updates, but probably not every day, unless things change for the worse, which hopefully will not happen.

That was on a Thursday. There were only a couple more notes from her related to her illness. 

Tuesday: [After I sent her a text message to check in.] Thanks, Hosea. I'm doing much better – would say I'm 95% recovered. I'm back to working at home and have had a big project given to me, so I'm busy today. It's good to be working!

Wednesday:  

One more and probably last update... I am feeling well, like myself again! There is still a bit of lingering cough, but my energy levels and mental clarity are back to normal. It's wonderful to be feeling good again! 

 This week I am back to work (at home) and have been asked to work on a new project for work that is giving me quite a few hours.... 

 I went for a 12 mile bicycle ride this afternoon and so enjoyed being out in the open air! With September 1st, autumn is arriving right on schedule. It's still warm during the day, but night time temperatures are in the low 50's and some trees are starting to turn color and drop their leaves. 

 Thank you, each and every one, for the wonderful support you gave me while I was sick. It meant so much to me. I especially enjoyed reconnecting with you and hearing about your families. 

 Hugs and love to you all! May you be safe and well.

I call that a happy ending. And I'm grateful.

No comments: