Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why do I read the blogs that I read?

The other day I finally figured out how to add a blog list to the left-hand margin of this blog you are reading now. OK, this should have been obvious to me long ago, I guess, but I never claimed to be a technical wizard. Anyway, I started adding links to a few of the blogs that I read at all regularly.

And after I added the first two or three, it struck me that there was something very unusual about the list. They are all (for the time being, at least) infidelity blogs; that part is not so strange. What is a bit peculiar is that they are written by the unfaithful partner in the marriage, or else by someone acting as a free agent, if you will. I think that my own blog is the only one I read at all regularly that is written by the cheated-upon.

Isn’t that strange? I mean, blogs written by car enthusiasts are typically read by other car enthusiasts; blogs by travel buffs are read by other travel buffs; I suppose that blogs by left-handed Carpathian goatherds are probably read primarily by other left-handed Carpathian goatherds. One of the great things about the Internet is how it can bring together people with common interests, and all ....

So what gives? I have been mulling this ever since.

I’ll admit right off the bat that one of the things I like in these blogs are the salacious stories. It hardly matters which of them are fantasies and which really happened, because they are all fun to read. My own fantasies would look pretty dull by comparison.

But I also enjoy the company of the authors, if you will; or at any rate the sides of their personalities – their voices – that come through in their writings. I recognize a lot of the frustrations they feel in their marriages; sometimes I have the same frustrations, sometimes I have lived through the same issue from the other side. And whatever they may or may not tell their spouses, they sound – in their writings, at least – refreshingly honest and free of humbug.

When I read posts by other cheated-upon spouses, however, the story is very different. (Is there a shorter word, by the way? “Cheated-upon spouse” is the shortest term I can think of, and it is unspeakably clumsy.) Articles posted by the cheated-upon seem to be most commonly angry and self-righteous; often vindictive, sometimes desparate or maudlin. I even understand why, but for heaven’s sake who wants to read that?
I also think that wallowing in one’s own anger, self-righteousness, victimization, or whatever is bad for the author. Despair and a sense of victimization encourage you to feel helpless; pretty soon you are sitting in a corner weeping uncontrollably and shrieking at shadows. Anger and self-righteousness encourage you to lie to yourself; pretty soon you have convinced yourself and all of your friends that the reason your spouse cheated is that he or she is a morally worthless scum, totally unworthy of a shining moral exemplar like yourself.

And of course that’s all bullshit. Name any transgression that you like, and in five minutes I can pull five people randomly off the street, any one of whom would be capable of committing it under the right circumstances. It is true I haven’t cheated on my wife, or at any rate not yet. But all this proves is that I am too timid to carry it off, or too socially inept, or for a hundred other reasons it just hasn’t seemed like the thing to do at the time. God knows that it doesn’t prove any moral superiority on my part. For that matter, my biggest indictment of Wife isn’t even that she cheats, but that she hides it and lies about it ... especially to herself.

And this brings me back to what I find so refreshing about the infidelity blogs that I read. The authors don’t claim to be moral exemplars, but at least they aren’t cowards. They know what they are doing; they know why they are doing it; they know it might be wrong, but they are prepared to deal with that when they have to. They may have to mislead their employers or their spouses for practical reasons, but they won’t lie to themselves or their readers, even when it makes them look bad to tell the truth.

If they’d have me there, I’d eat at their table any day of the week.

Memo to self: In the future, try to keep your posts less angry, self-righteous, and whiny. For heaven’s sake, who wants to read that?

6 comments:

Helga Hansen said...

That was so refreshing to read. While I may be the spouse that cheated, I don't write about it, but that doesn't mean my partner reacts any differently than the way you described.

Anonymous said...

Today I read the entire archives here after discovering the blog off a comment you made somewhere ... I seem to have purged where.

It's been really instructive. I don't know, as the cheating partner, whether my husband would agree with your claim that its better to know. I suspect he would just kick me out. But I think your various posts about honesty and chronic lying were really interesting.

The other interesting thing is that I identify far more with you than Wife. When you talk about your communication problems I see my husband in her behaviour and myself in yours.

I have lots of thoughts running around my head about your posts, but they are a bit of a formless mess. However, thought I'd let you know you have a new reader at least.

Hosea Tanatu said...

Hello!

Helga -- Glad to have written something you liked. Seeing your comment here prompted me to go find your blog in turn, and I couldn't resist commenting on one of your posts from last week.

Anonymous -- As far as my remarks go on whether it is better to know or to be kept in the dark, please remember that I can only write about what works for me. If your husband is likely to react irrationally and throw you out, then you have to do what you have to do. Obviously I'm not suggesting that you martyr yourself to some abstract principle of pure honesty, if it's going to mean bad things happen in the real world.

I think it is fair to consider (in your own mind) how bad is "bad". Tossing you out is bad. On the other hand, being angry and upset but getting over it before any damage is done might not be all that bad. One of my frustrations with Wife is that her criterion of "bad" includes my raising my voice or even being disappointed in her. Personally I think this sets the bar way too low.

I agree that it is interesting -- and a little odd -- that you communicate more like me, and your husband communicates more like my wife.

You know, in the event that your husband ever does find out, you should feel free to point him to my blog or even give him my e-mail address. I can't promise how it would turn out, but at least I could write to him about what I've been through and how I've looked at it. And after all, we are still married.

justme said...

Maybe the reason so few cheated -against - ones blog, is that they don't actually KNOW that their partner is cheating? Just a thought....although actually, I suspect it must be quite hard not to know SOMETHING is going on.
Anyway, I have just found your blog and have been enjoying reading it. You make lots of interesting points.

Anonymous said...

"I agree that it is interesting -- and a little odd -- that you communicate more like me, and your husband communicates more like my wife."

Now that I have thought on this a little more, I want to add this. The difference is perhaps this: you seem to persevere. I have mainly given up, that is, I no longer talk to my husband about things that I know will upset him and be read as criticism. I just have developed a long list of 'don't go there' topics.

I feel this as a loss of intimacy. Weirdly as far as I can tell he doesn't. He seems positively happy in fact.

Hosea Tanatu said...

justme -- Of course you are right that many members of a couple may not know they are being cheated-on. But they aren't actually the ones I was talking about. I have found a couple of websites that set themselves up as "support sites" for "victims" of infidelity -- those innocent paragons of virtue whose wicked spouses or Significant Others have been off having unspeakable fun with Other People. And for the most part these sites are just a drag to read. I mean, how much whiny self-justification can you read at a sitting before you get sick of it?

Anyway, I am always glad to know that somebody out there is inerested by anything I have to say, so by all means welcome. Put your feet up, make yourself at home, pour yourself a glass of wine, and keep commenting. :-) I've taken a quick look at your blog, but only from work so I didn't have time to look very closely. More later, for sure.


Anonymous -- I don't know if "persevering" in this context is anything to be proud of, or if it is just stupidity or stubbornness. :-) A case could be made for either.

More seriously, I have to admit that there are plenty of times I don't say what I'm thinking for exactly the reason you describe. But it's also true that I haven't given up completely. This could just mean that I am becoming progressively less tolerant of some of Wife's (non-)communiative strategies.

She, for her part, has complained about a lack of intimacy, but it is hard for me to pin down what it is that she really wants -- because it doesn't seem to be what I mean by the word. And truly, the failures may not be all one-sided here; I know I'm not the world's most romantic guy, for example, and I'm sure that other women besides Wife would find that frustrating.