Saturday, April 30, 2011

Seventeenth date 1, The home front

I met D in Faraway City for a week, or almost: we flew out on Monday and left Friday. I didn’t think I could keep wrapping around the weekends: not only is it increasingly hard to explain, but it means leaving Son 2 alone with Wife that much longer each time. And I just don’t trust her judgement, about anything.

A case in point: Thursday we got a call from Hogwarts that Son 1 was sick, and they were sending him home for a couple of days. He should rest and maybe see his doctor. Wife heard this and planned to drive the two hours to get him … right away. Of course this was also going to mean pulling Son 2 out of school for the rest of the day so he could go with her, and probably the next day as she drove back. Plus her driving is pretty impaired these days, what with all the medications she takes (including ever-larger quantities of medical marijuana). I got on the phone, determined from the Hogwarts health center that it wasn’t really a crisis, and then called my parents who live right around the corner from the school. Sure, they’d be happy to collect him and drive him to our place. So Wife doesn’t have to drive anywhere. Problem solved. But I was a little rattled that she honestly thought she could undertake this trip, and that she was going to forge ahead without exploring any other alternatives first.

Meanwhile, my next couple of posts give a few highlights from my visit with D: …

No comments: