Saturday, March 17, 2012

On lying, part 9 concluded (I guess)

After my last installment, I suppose I should wind up. Friday afternoon came and went. I drove Son 2 home from school. He didn't say anything, and in fact put his seat back and pretended to be asleep the whole ride. But I saw that his eyes were open. He was just waiting for what I might say. I had no idea what to say, really, so I didn't. I patted him on the shoulder, and when we got home I told him I love him.

D thinks that sending him to boarding school is still the right thing to do. Or well, ... actually I can't quite tell what D thinks because she is using way too many words to express it. But I think that's what she said. She thinks that the few times Son 2 lies, it's because he feels overwhelmed or out of his depth, unable to measure up to some standard he thinks he is supposed to meet but can't. I don't know ... it sounds logical but I have a little trouble grabbing hold of it to do anything useful with the idea. She also thinks I was a damned fool for asking Son 2 if he sees Wife or me lying and cheating, because D is convinced that Son 2 sees pretty much everything. Maybe she's right.

She also said lots of other things that really irritated me and aren't at all germane to the current topic, so I won't bother quoting either of her two e-mails on the subject.

This is the way our crisis ends, not with a bang but a whimper. (with apologies to T. S. Eliot.)

No comments: