Monday, March 16, 2015

Suzie goes a-wooing, part 2

I got a phone call from Suzie this afternoon, saying that she wouldn’t be at our volunteer work tonight and could I make her apologies for her? Actually she was pretty apologetic herself, because she and I were going to go to a reception at a local art gallery for a couple hours before our volunteer stint, and she had to cancel that too. It seems she had a lead on new housing, so she won’t have to keep sharing a room with the boyfriend she has broken up with. That has to be a good development, so I told her I was happy for her and of course I would explain this evening.
 
But she wasn’t done. “You remember that girl I was telling you about?”
 
“Carrie?”
 
“Yeah.You remember the advice you gave me?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well I started doing it, and it’s working.”
 
She tried to tell me the story of what seems to have been a pivotal conversation, but I kind of got lost in the details. As far as I can tell, though, she suddenly saw in the middle of an intense, complicated conversation that yes, of course Carrie was waiting for Suzie to make the first move. So apparently she did. I’m not sure what that “first move” was, and Suzie added that she’s not sure exactly what her relationship with Carrie will end up looking like … but she has broken through the logjam. Things are looking better. I told her I was doubly happy for this news, and we would doubtless talk soon.
 
Then I went back to vacuuming my apartment. I had made a point of cleaning up because I had assumed that she’d want to come over tonight after our work for a backrub. But really, it is fine with me this way too. I was tickled to hear that my advice had worked ….
 
 
 

No comments: