Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Note on compassion

I was thinking about our Human Resources Director last night, comparing her to her two predecessors that I have worked with in the same company. On the whole I didn’t have to deal with any of them professionally all that often, although one of them was a lot of fun and I used to stop by her office just to chat.  But when it came to professional work, I remember clearly times when each of the last two had to talk to me about one of my employees and specifically broached the discussion out of compassion. Of course they considered the needs of the company too – that was their job. But it was clear with both of them that compassion for the individual employee was a high priority.
 
Now that I think about it, though, I have never heard a single word of compassion from our current HR Director.
 
Maybe it’s because she’s located in a different office, so I don’t talk to her much. But I can’t help thinking she’s in the wrong line of work.
 
 

No comments: