Sunday, January 2, 2022

Numerology is silly, right?

I've told you that I've been following the posts of John Michael Greer. Well today I read one that he posted yesterday, in which he explained the basics of numerology and suggested you can use it to foretell what kind of year you'll have. The basic concept goes like this:

To know what the year is going to be like in general, add the digits. If the result is greater than 9, add those digits and so on until you get a number between one and nine. Then he has a list of correspondences where you look up the number to see how the year will be in general. So for the year 2022, you add 2 + 0 + 2 + 2 = 6, and this means 2022 is going to be a "six" kind of year.

But if you want to know what the year will be like for you in particular, it's more complicated. First you add the letters of your name, using a chart that he posts in the blog entry which gives correspondences between letters and digits. This gives your "name number." Then you add the date of your birth: day + month + year. This gives your "birth number." (For each of these sums, reduce it to a single digit like I described reducing "2022" above.) Then add those two digits, and reduce it if needed. This gives your "time number." Finally take the answer from that and add it to the value for the year. Reduce it to a single digit. Look up what kind of a year corresponds to that single digit, and that's what kind of a year you'll have.

Silly, right?

So I tried calculating some of these numbers. According to the chart he gave in his blog post (linked above). H + O + S + E + A + T + A + N + A + T + U = 35 and 3 + 5 = 8. So the name I use here adds to 8. Interestingly enough, the name by which I am normally known in real life also adds to 8. And the abbreviation of my name that I use when I am in a hurry also adds to 8. So one way or another, my name adds to 8.

My date of birth adds to 4.

So my personal "time number" = 8 + 4 = 12, and 1 + 2 = 3. My personal "time number" is 3.

Since 2022 adds to 6, that means that for me, this year we have just started will be characterized by 3 + 6 = 9. His description of a "nine" kind of year is as follows: 

Ruled by Neptune, this is a number of completion and karma. The cycle that began with 1 ends this year, for good or ill; your actions in previous years will determine how this one turns out. If you don't like the outcome, learn from your mistakes and prepare to try again.

So according to this, 2022 will not be my year for fame and fortune. Gosh, that's too bad.

But 2023 should be something different. 2 + 0 + 2 + 3 = 7. Since my time number = 3, my prognosis for 2023 is 3 + 7 = 10, and 1 + 0 = 1. So next year (I mean 2023) should be a "one" kind of year for me. And that means this:

Ruled by the Sun, this is a number of new beginnings and opportunity. This is a time of practical action and constructive change.  It's a good time to take direct action and to start new things in motion, so long as they aren't complex or evasive. Move ahead forcefully during this year.

Maybe that means that 2023 will be the year I conquer the blogosphere. Or something like that. Just remember, you read it here first.

Just to be clear, this is all for entertainment, right? Nobody takes any of this seriously, right?

I checked a few other years:

  • For me, 1984 came out as a 7: "Things get weird during a 7 year as factors you don't yet know about take charge. It is favorable for study and preparation. Avoid depressing thoughts, as it will be easy to be dragged down by them." That's the year I got married and started graduate school.
  • 2002 came out exactly the same, as a 7. That's the year my office closed (at the job I used to have, long before you ever knew me) and I was laid off ... and it took me 18 months to find a new job.
  • 2020 was yet another 7! That was the year we learned (out of the blue, because of "factors you don't yet know about") that my office would close permanently, and I had the choice of moving to Sticksville or being laid off. Good thing there were no risks of "depressing thoughts" as a result of all that! 
  • On the other hand, 1994 came out as an 8: "Ruled by Uranus, this is a number of material success and practical effort. Sustained effort this year brings substantial rewards. Focus on the big picture rather than the little details, and work on finishing up projects already begun." That's the year Wife and I bought a house.
  • 2007 came out as a 3: "Ruled by Mercury, this is a number of complications, minor changes, and many things to do. Plenty of opportunities and challenges can be expected. Stay nimble and you can manage them all. Cooperation rather than conflict is highlighted." 2007 was a very busy year. In the first part of the year, Wife had a whole lot of duties at the kids' elementary school. Over the summer Wife and I sent Son 1 (age 10) to Europe with the People-to-People program and without us. Also that summer, Wife and I traveled to Paris together. I've often thought 2007 was our best year together in all the 30 years of our whole marriage. By late in the year, though, she was already entangled with Boyfriend 5. On December 28, I started this blog. So it was a very, very busy year.
  • 2013 came out as a 9, same as 2022 above. A year of completion and karma, where actions in previous years bear their natural fruit and a cycle comes to a close. That's the year I moved out and we sold the house.

So ... naah, ... this is all for entertainment. It never works out according to this system in real life. Just a joke. Just for fun.

But I do start to wonder what kind of karma I've built up in the last eight years? What's the logical conclusion of the way I've been living since 2014? 

I guess I'll see.

     

No comments: