Sunday, December 11, 2022

In other news ....

In other news, it's been two days since I've heard anything from Marie. Right now I think we're kind of pissed off with each other, although I haven't had a lot of time to think about it the last day or so, for obvious reasons. I think it started last week when we were talking and it came out that I wasn't up to date on COVID vaccinations, nor had I gotten this year's flu shot. My opinion on either of these isn't exactly doctrinaire, but I'm unconvinced of the need for COVID boosters (as I explained recently) and hadn't gotten around to getting a flu shot. 

A couple days later, Marie sent me an email ordering me to get both sets of shots, or else give her a damned good reason why not. When I was silent for a couple days more, she followed up with a letter apologizing for calling me "stupid" but reiterating how desperately important these shots are. I answered saying that it's very hard to accept direct orders from a partner while retaining any self-respect, or indeed to reply with anything other than "Go fuck yourself." And she said simply, "Thank you for clarifying how this disagreement looks to you."

We haven't said anything to each other since. At this point I assume we'll talk on Monday evening as usual, and work it out there. I have some thoughts about what might be behind the whole situation, but whenever I try to read other people's minds I'm usually wrong. So maybe I'd better just wait and see. 

No comments: