Sunday, April 30, 2023

Day 14: Flying home

And so the trip wound to an end. We got up at 5:30, checked out, met our taxi, and were at the airport before 7:00. Debbie's flight took off at 9:20. Mine was a lot later. I tried calling the airline to see if they could move me to an earlier flight, but the up-charge would have been over a thousand dollars. No, thanks.

So we got something hot to drink (tea for her, coffee for me) and sat for a bit, chatting quietly and just enjoying being there with each other. After some time, Debbie decided it was time to go to her gate. We kissed, and away she went.

Then I waited. After two or three hours, I was able to check my suitcase through to Big Airport that I'd flown out of. A while longer, and I was able to proceed to my gate. Bought a sandwich and a beer for lunch, and after a while boarded my plane.

And from there the trip unspooled just the way you expect. It was much like the trip outbound, with two significant changes: I had one fewer flight to catch (because after flying from Glasgow to Heathrow I then flew directly from Heathrow to Big Airport), and—strikingly!—there were no delays. Every step of the way, we left on time and arrived early. I slept fitfully for about five hours on the transatlantic flight, and spent much of the rest of it talking to my seatmate, who turned out to be fascinating. I think I also watched a movie, but I can't remember what it was. When I arrived at Big Airport (which was also my Port of Entry into the United States) my passage through Customs and Passport Control was unusually expeditious. I caught the shuttle to the Airport's overflow parking, found my car, and got on the road with no unexpected hold-ups. And I drove home.

The next day, May 1, I unpacked and otherwise did very little. May 2, I went back to my consulting job, only to discover that the owner had sold the company the day before and they wouldn't be needing my services any longer. And then there was a long stretch where not a lot happened that's worth reporting. But I want to write a couple more installments reflecting on some themes that caught my attention during the trip. Those will come next. 

          

No comments: