It looks like this is going to be a big year.
-----
I went to the Ecosophian Convention in June. That was big, right there.
-----
I mentioned a while ago that I'm back to work on my book. My goal is to self-publish successfully this year. I don't expect to make a lot of money at it, although it would be nice if Fate proved me wrong. But it explains an obscure, niche topic. The natural audience is probably not large, and I've never been very good at publicizing myself. The goals that I hope to achieve include:
- proving that I can set and achieve a long-term goal;
- learning about the self-publication process, so I can plan to publish some of the other stuff bubbling in my head;
- opening up the possibility for my sons that they can achieve things in life above and beyond holding a regular job, because it is always easier to do a thing if you see someone else do it first. (To be clear, my own father was rather weak on the "holding a regular job" part, so that was the first thing I wanted to model for them!)
But there is more. Turns out that the world doesn't revolve around me. š
-----
Wife moved from living with Son1 to living near Son2. Son1 and Son2 organized the whole move between themselves, and are handling the aftermath.
Son1 will be moving in with Dorcas soon. Son2 proposed to Beryl.
-----
Debbie has had multiple spells of atrial fibrillation. Already this year she has had a device inserted into her heart to help regularize its behavior, and she is on medication to help with that as well. We still talk regularly every Friday afternoon, but more and more those conversations tend to drift over to talking about death. She's still making plans for the future, but more and more she talks about wanting things to be in order by the time she is no longer there to order them.
-----
Because Debbie has been thinking about death, she has been pushing our Unitarian Sangha to establish a Care-Taking Council. I wrote about the very first steps ... setting up an exploratory committee to review the idea ... back in 2025. But most of the activity will take place this year.
Also related to that, this spring our Sangha held its first ever Day of Mindfulness. We are slowly stretching out of a fixed and unchanging shape that we've held for some 20 years.
-----
Marie's favorite nephew was arrested by TSA. Turns out he was on a cruise with his parents (Marie's sister CuƱada, and her current husband). TSA explored his tablet, and found pornography on it. Some of the pornography involved subjects below the legal age of consent. This translates to five years in prison—automatically—without the possibility of parole. Marie is beside herself—partly at the fate of her nephew, of course, but partly because of the nature of the offense. She has not said so, but my guess is that years ago (before we got back together and she started to re-evaluate her attitudes towards sex), she would have approved of such a law. Today she hates it because it endangers Nephew. There are probably other complexities as well ... Marie generates emotional complexity effortlessly.
-----
I'm in a fight with my professional organization. I don't know why I care, and some days I don't. It's not like I'm working any more. My membership expires this month. Maybe I'll just let it go. Still, if I do, that's another milestone for this year.
-----
At the end of June, Schmidt wrecked his car. He described it this way:
"Driving to town for groceries and prescriptions. Just a mile or two out of town, got distracted trying to let a wasp out the window, drifted just enough to hit a mailbox that (due to prior vandalism I suppose) was anchored with steel and concrete like a damn skyscraper and totally wrecked the car. Flipped, rolled, slid... good thing I'm in the habit of doing only 60 on that part of the road! Seat belt & air bags did their job and I crawled out the (pulverized) passenger side window with just some cuts and bruises. Somebody came along just as I got out and used his cell phone to call 911 -- I was still dazedly trying to collect myself and wondering how to use my phone without my glasses (knocked off and god-knew-where).... Cue EMTs, Highway patrol, tow truck -- tow operator finally found my glasses for me (way in the back of what's left of the car) so I can see again."
-----
My former boss wrote me that he is afraid of being laid off, because the huge company that we both worked for is doing lots of business except not in his country.
-----
Numerologically, 2026 is a "1-year" because 2 + 0 + 2 + 6 = 10, and 1 + 0 = 1. According to John Michael Greer, 1-years are:
"Ruled by the Sun, this is a number of new beginnings and opportunity. This is a time of practical action and constructive change. It's a good time to take direct action and to start new things in motion, so long as they aren't complex or evasive. Move ahead forcefully during this year."
All-righty then!
-----
Have I forgotten anything? Maybe. Probably
Is there more that I don't know about? Gosh, I hope not!
No comments:
Post a Comment