Saturday, November 15, 2008

Wife's brave decision ...?

So, ... after all the discussion in this counseling session, ... after the further analysis in this phone call, ... what did Wife finally decide to do about my request for a copy of the hotel receipt?

What else? She came as close as she could to pleasing everybody, by agreeing to pay for the room herself. That was the one escape clause which Boyfriend 5 had given her; plus, this way she could give me what I asked for and the worst case is I would complain about the cost. Since she believes that I always complain about the cost of everything (especially in cases where I keep my mouth scrupulously shut), this prospect doesn't seem so bad to her. So everybody gets more or less what they asked for, she doesn't have to feel "caught in the middle," and she doesn't have to make any really hard choices.

I thought there was a chance that she might really engage with the question of personal responsibility. I thought there was a possibility that she might really raise her sights above victimhood, that she might see herself making responsible choices in difficult situations while flanked with the risk of loss on both sides, that seeing this would lift her self-image to the point that she no longer felt trapped and victimized by life.

Why do I ever get my hopes up any more?

.

No comments: