Sunday, September 25, 2011

Would you rent a car for this man? part 3

Well, the denouement of this drama with Pop seems to have come rather suddenly. Here is as much as I have been able to piece together so far. If there is more later, I'll be sure to fill you in.

All along, Pop had told Wife she would get her money back on Friday. (This is the nearly $200 she spent renting him a car ... God only knows why.) Of course she didn't.

What she told Son 2 and me over dinner is just that she texted him to ask, "You said we'd get together today. When are we getting together?" And he replied, "We aren't. I'm gone." She double-checked with Avis that he hadn't rented another car on her credit card and then gave up.

But she must have driven over there and surprised him, because she told one of her other Internet boyfriends that she chased Pop down the freeway at high speeds, nearly got into an accident twice, and finally lost him. Then (so she went on) she called 9-1-1 to contact the highway patrol, and reported his car for reckless driving and driving drunk.

Of course there is no way to know if they took the call seriously, or if she sounded like a crank (or jilted lover). Talking with Son 2 and me, she said that she had told Avis she suspected Pop of having stolen a ring of hers and fencing stolen property. (Huh??) Naturally Avis answered, "Well Ma'am, we really can't do anything about that but I can verify that he did not charge your card again after that first day." So I wonder: did she repeat these stories to the highway patrol as well? Did they make her sound more balanced and credible?

In retrospect, I also can't help shaking my head over the high-speed chase. Sure, I wouldn't want to be defrauded out of $200 either, but is it worth dying for in a car crash? But people do crazy things when they are angry. I only hope she looks back on it the same way, so that if there is ever a next time she can stop herself first before doing any damage.

What a mess.

No comments: