Thursday, November 8, 2012

The great thing about HR

OK, this is purely silly and has nothing to do with any of the stuff I normally discuss here, but what the hell?

One of my friends at work is our HR Manager.  You'd think that befriending the HR Manager would be politically astute, but in this case I'm not so sure because I can't tell if anybody in senior management ever listens to her.  Still, we have fun swapping stories about the craziness we have to put up with.

But lately I think she's winning.  The other day she got a call from the head office of our parent company telling her that she has to go help with layoffs at some plant neither of us had ever heard of ... in a city that's three or four hours away by car. 

Oh, and it's not just one or two layoffs, but they have closed the entire plant so the employee exit interviews will have to be held in a Burger King nearby. 

Oh, and it's tomorrow.

Why exactly does she have to drop everything and go do this?  "Well, you're so nearby and we really need someone there who is an expert in the labor law of your state, because the other person doing this will be flying out from headquarters."

As she told me this, it was obvious that she was torn between shock and disbelief.  I just asked her if she has ever seen "Up in the Air."  (She hasn't.)

Then I decided to make her a little graphic to take with her or otherwise cheer her up ....

No comments: