Tuesday, June 11, 2013

crazy spending, one of a series

OK this is nuts.  And you can’t possibly be interested, but I have to tell somebody.  After complaining for weeks … months … years … about how I have been keeping her on the brink of destitution, Wife went out today and bought a bed.  She offered me the old one, -- you remember there’s an old one, right?  The one that she and I slept on for years and years, the one in the master bedroom in our house where she is still living?  The one that she could still sleep on today for free?  Anyway, she offered me that one, which of course I turned down*, in order to get out of having to pay the trash company for a large-item pickup. 

But WTF?  If she’s so damned broke, how can she afford a bed?  OK, she said it was an overstock and half off.  But still!  Isn’t this the kind of thing where destitute people make do with what they’ve got, no matter how imperfect?  Or at least destitute people with any damned financial sense?

Sorry.  I’m done frothing at the mouth now.  I’ll settle down and go back to normal.  You don’t even need to post a comment to this, unless you want to remind me that, as Samuel Johnson is said to have observed regarding Shakespeare’s Cymbeline, “It is impossible to criticize unresisting imbecility.”

It sure is a good thing that our finances are going to be separated.

* Why “of course”? Let me count the ways. Debbie has said she would refuse to sleep on it. And my apartment is too small for a king-size bed, if I want to use the floor space for anything else as well. And it’s just not that important to me … if that were my only choice, I’d rather sleep on the floor (as I have been doing the past week) and save my money for art. Or food.

No comments: