Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Can you eat pizza mindfully?

I wonder whether it is possible to eat pizza mindfully.

Do you know what mindful eating is? It's a meditation technique. Thich Nhat Hanh talks about it here and here. The whole idea is that you slow down and really let yourself experience the food you are eating, that you think of nothing else but just the taste and texture of the food and all the feelings as you chew it and swallow it. It's really very pleasant, and I've it whenever I am on retreat with Debbie.

Only ... I don't know how it is possible to do it with pizza. Somehow there is something about the smell and taste of pizza that triggers me to scarf it rather than to savor it. I made some for dinner tonight and watched myself as I ate it. The only time I could make myself slow down and savor it was for my last slice of the night, after I was already full.

Wait a minute. If I was paying attention to my bodily sensations, why did I eat a slice after I was already full? Well, it's pizza. I wasn't paying that much attention, I guess.

It would be great to be more in control of my reactions. At least in principle. Maybe I can settle for being aware of them.
    

No comments: