Saturday, July 11, 2009

"The Little Foxes"

We watched "The Little Foxes" tonight. Wife subscribed us to Netflix over a year ago -- well over, come to think of it -- and it has been really fun. Well I have no idea when or why she put this one on the list, but it was a great choice.

It was a great choice because it echoes so well the accusations D made about what Wife has become, when D was here last week. Wife's family grew up poor and not rich; but otherwise they bear an astonishing similarity to the Hubbards. I can imagine that Wife herself was Alexandra, back when she was young. Now she is certainly Regina. Wife's older sister is Birdie ... well, she doesn't drink (for religious reasons) but otherwise she is every bit as weak and pliable.

At one point I remarked out loud what a perfect movie it was, thinking of the fights with D and the accusations of just how totally materialistic Wife has become. (I didn't say that part out loud.) It was towards the end of the movie, and Wife asked me (a little bitterly) whether I identify with Horace. Fortunately I was able to evade the question by laughing, "Well Horace is dead, so I sure hope not!" But do I? In reality? Well of course ....

Wife and I actually talked a little after the movie about my request in Counselor's office that she be willing to change, but I don't think we got anywhere. No matter. I have an appointment soon to figure out what my legal rights and obligations are.

It's late, so I'll stop here. But it is really amazing how easy it is to map Wife's extended family onto this movie.
Good night, all.

1 comment:

Apollo Unchained said...

Is this the one with "Give me the letter, Darling." ? Haven't seen it in forever.

This evening I went with my wife to a double feature of classics at the beautifully restored Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto: "Dinner At Eight" (1933) and "Philadelphia Story" (1940). It was very nice.